Tuesday 22 April 2014

Evaluation - Question #7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?


I have learnt a lot from the point I finished filming the preliminary task to the present day. I have gained more knowledge in all areas; from editing to sound to mise-en-scene. Back when I was filming the preliminary it didn't occur to me that you could make an audience feel a certain emotion with the camera, I have learnt that through particular camera angles you can do this. For example, long-lasting close-ups of a person's face can you feel different emotions from angry to feeling sorry for that character. If there was a close-up on a crying person the audience are likely to feel empathy towards that character.

Kind of following on from the last point, lighting is a key part of shooting a film. Lighting shouldn't be out of mind when planning the mise-en-scene. You can use lighting to a great effect to control the mood of a film. For example in a noir film you would use as little lighting as possible, to keep that tone you find in every high quality noir film.

Also I learnt something from sound. I didn't include any sort of music on top of my preliminary. In my opening I included a tension-building sting. Over the process I found out that sound can change the tone of a scene as well as changing the pace. The sting in my film was a great factor in rising the tension levels.

Furthermore, there is more to sound than just stings, sound effects, a score and/or a soundtrack can also help to improve a film. In the end of my opening I have multiple knife stab effects, sound effects can help enhance particular story points. They can also inform the audience in more detail of how a character is feeling. In my case the stabbing effect made the attack seem more painful, making the the audience feel more empathy towards the dying character. In my preliminary I didn't feature any sound effects. With soundtracks and scores I learnt that you can create all different types of moods and tones, the right piece of music can create any emotion.

No equipment were used to make my preliminary other than the camera itself. For the end product it was key that I had a tripod to shoot many films. The constant shakiness of a camera can put off an audience from even watching a film. It can be handled well (like in Cloverfield) but more often than not it comes off irritating. So as I progressed I learnt that film equipment can be a very important part of shooting a movie.

Here is my preliminary:

No comments:

Post a Comment