Monday 21 April 2014

Evaluation - Question #4

Who would be the audience for your media product?


At the beginning of production I targeted my film at an audience of both genders aged 20-35. I will start by noting elements that my opening doesn't incorporate that would appeal to people not of my target demographic. The general view of 13-19 year olds is that they only enjoy films that contain many, many explosions. People believe this point  In my opening sequence there is not one single explosion, or even an over exaggerated visual effect. One reason is that I didn't have the budget to include such extravagant effects. But more importantly none of this would improve the quality of my film. On the other end of the spectrum I don't think my film would appeal to the elderly. The elderly are depicted as loving only old films - especially dramas, westerns, and war films. I think the age range I mentioned at the beginning would be the optimum age due to what they are stereotypically known to like. They are not to keen on explosive, flashy films, but also not 100% with massive dramas. In my film I aimed for a thriller filled with character arcs and a fast paced but original story.
Fight Club seems like a film that has targeted a similar age range to the one I have targeted. I have used quite a few similar story-telling techniques that Fight Club has used. Just like that film my film is focused on two characters - one a bit more than the other. This audience seem to enjoy films being told like this. As well as this I have a small plot twist, Fight Club has a much larger one which has a lot greater in many people's eyes.

I made a 'writeboard' to find get feedback from the audience to see what kind of people did enjoy it: http://123.writeboard.com/63j33si3yld0etx8xe3i98uh

As you can see on the website, the age range I targeted seemed to have the greatest understanding of what I was aiming for. They also seemed to enjoy the opening the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment