Sunday 20 April 2014

Evaluation - Question #1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


Just like a real film my film features a range of action and enigma codes. Since the genres of my film are detective/thriller/horror, plenty of enigma codes definitely enhance the effectiveness of the opening. Some enigma codes I have included in my opening ask things like: character decisions, what characters do, what some items mean. One specific example is when I don't reveal the main character's face (Jules), the audience question who's life they are watching.

For my story I decided to follow 3 distinct genres, one being broad (horror) and the other 2 being more specific (thriller and detective). Real films often have multiple genres attached to their name. To show that my film are these genres, I have included various techniques in my opening. At the start of the opening there are 2 production companies shown. Right at the start the titles of the production companies instantly give off a certain tone for the film.


The word 'perimo' means 'to kill' in Latin, that word along with the image of the magnifying glass give off a mysterious vibe. Connecting to the 'detective' genre. The other production company is 'Slime Productions', I felt that the animation shown for this company linked to the horror genre I was aiming for. I also emphasized the genre through sound. Towards the end of the opening a sting begins to play, stings like that are often found in thriller movies.

Related to that are the titles. I have used, for the title and the actor/director credits, a font called 'Comeback of the Damned'. I specifically chose this font because it created this fantastic horror vibe. Another reason was because in the back of my mind I had planned to get Jules to write some letters to people, and this font was in the style of a person's handwriting, so it fit perfectly.

Much like a real film I also targeted characterisation as an element I should focus on. Jules Blonde is a mentally unstable killer. To show his instability I made the actor perform a certain way. Towards the beginning of the film I needed Jules to prepare a meal. Since he has this insane mind I made the character grab a banana and randomly chop it to pieces. The fact that it's a banana and out of nowhere he just chops it and leaves it leave the audiences a sense of astonishment, they are wondering why the character would behave so strangely.



Another one of Jules' traits is that he believes he is always the smartest person in the room. I researched and found out that classical music often correlates to self-perceived intelligence”. This made me include that piece of music at the start of the opening, it was to suggest the big-headedness of the character.

Through mise-en-scene I also attempted to show more about the characters. One of the key parts of the costumes in my opening was that I wanted Jules to wear dark colours. The darkness gives the obvious connotations of evilness, and Jules is an evil character - he kills people.


Jules wearing dark-coloured clothes

To help further the plot points I manipulated the camera into certain positions. For example near to the start of the opening I have shot a close up of a newspaper article. The newspaper states "killer murders tenth policeman". The fact that it is a close up shot, and that I have kept the camera on the prop for such a long amount of time tells the audience that this is an important detail. This shot can also be seen as another enigma code.


Another prop I made sure received a lot of focus was the knife. I gave it so many close ups as foreshadowing, as you can see in the opening it foreshadows the death of the character at the end of the opening.


No comments:

Post a Comment